Headaches and Your Chiropractor

Do you know that chiropractors can help with headaches? There are many potential factors that can cause headaches. About 5% of headaches are a warning sign of a physical problem such as diseases while the other 95% are caused by tension, migraine, or cluster headaches. A large portion of these types of headaches are caused by muscle tension in the neck. Due to our sedentary lifestyle, we are at risk for increased joint pain and muscle tension in the neck and back that could lead to a headache.

What Are Migraines?

Migraines are another form of headaches the affect 12% of Americans. Many of those who suffer from migraines are unable to work or function during a migraine. Migraines can cause severe throbbing head pain, nausea, vomiting, and sensitivity to light and sound. There are many potential triggers of a migraine. These range from hormonal changes to stress, alcohol or caffeine, and some medications and food.

Treatment On Your Own

There are several things you can try on your own to help with your headaches and migraines. If you are sitting for the majority of the day, you should take a break and stretch at least once an hour. These stretches should focus on your neck and upper back. You should also incorporate some light exercise into your daily routine. This could be as simple as going for a walk or signing up for a yoga class. You should also aim for drinking about half your body weight in ounces of water a day.

Treatment with a Chiropractor

A chiropractor will perform spinal manipulation focusing on your neck and upper back to help improve function and alleviate the stress put on your joints and muscles. Your chiropractor will not only perform chiropractic adjustments but will also give you advice on proper nutrition, correct posture, exercises, and stretches you can try.

You Might Also Enjoy...

What Should I Tell My Physical Therapist?

If you have never been to a physical therapist before you may have some questions about your care and expectations. Here are some general questions and points about physical therapy you may want to talk about during your initial evaluation.

How Exactly Does A Chiropractor Adjust Your Spine?

If you’ve ever had an adjustment from a chiropractor to ease aches and pains and address injury, you likely see the validity of care that you’ve received. Chiropractic care is a form of skeletal adjustment that helps to restore joint mobility and function

It's Not "Just" Sciatic

Sciatic pain is caused when pressure is put on the sciatic nerve. This happens when a herniated disc is pressing on the nerve or from spinal stenosis which is the narrowing of the spinal canal. It typically effects only one side of the body.